Gabions : Rectangular Wire Mesh Baskets
A gabion (from Italian gabbione meaning “big cage”; from Italian gabbia and Latin cavea meaning “cage”) is a cage, cylinder, or box filled with rocks, concrete, or sometimes sand and soil for use in civil engineering, road building, and military applications. For erosion control, caged riprap is used.
Gabions are rectangular wire mesh baskets filled with rock at the project site to form flexible, permeable, monolithic structures such as retaining walls for commercial, industrial and road projects. Gabion and Gabion mattresses are trusted, well proven and technically sound solutions to retain earth and reduce erosion. This technique is extensively used around the world. They are also used for river bank stabilization, channel linings and weirs.
(Note: Retaining wall are permanent structures typically constructed at the toe of a slope or to retain back-fill.)
The key to longevity of these Gabions structures is based on the quality of the wire used for manufacturing Gabions boxes and the correct design aspects. A-1 Fence is committed to fulfill both these parameters and provide our customers with finest quality product with technical support as and when required.
The assembly and installation of Gabions is enormously simple and can be carried out in any environment without the assistance of specialized tools and workforce. Our products are supported by design assistance from qualified Geo-technical engineers who can provide timely technical support.
Gabions are made out of following material:
A-1 Gabions are in full compliance with ASTM, Some common specifications are as below
- Heavy galvanized steel wire
- PVC coated wire
||A 641 / 641 M
||A 641 / 641 M
|Zinc – Alu Coating
||A 855 / B 750
||A 641 / 641 M
||D 792 / A 975
|Gabion Mesh Size
Common Gabion Products
Boxes : These are blocks made of Gabions mesh, which can be filled on the site with rocks, stones, debris and crushed concrete.
Mattresses : Gabions Mattresses are used to provide protection on water courses.
Rock fall netting : As the name suggests, this kind of netting made out of Gabions mesh finds application in preventing rocks and debris from spilling.
Gabions sack : Used in controlling water flow.
Common Gabion Applications
Advantages Against Conventional Methods
- Retaining wall structures
- Gabion revetments
- Canal and river walling
- Rock-fall protection
- Weir structures
- Gabion fencing
- Coastal protection
- Protection of bridge and culverts
- Bridge abutments
Please do write to us and our team will visit your premises for the product demonstration.
- Exemplary modularity and ability to stack in various sizes and shapes
- Gabion structures are capable of resisting any types of stresses, bending, tensile and shear
- Gabion structures can accommodate differential settlements without disturbing the structural integrity
- The permeability characteristics of Gabions structures eliminate the problems caused in RCC structures, such as soil instability, water logged back-fills/foundation, etc.
- Gabions and Gabions mattresses are backed with well documented research and certifications concerning durability of the structure
21, Raju Industrial Estate,
Dahisar ( East ),
Mumbai – 401 104. INDIA
Tel. : +91 22 28977540