Gabions are rectangular wire mesh baskets filled with rock at the project site to form flexible, permeable, monolithic structures such as retaining walls for commercial, industrial and road projects. Gabion and Gabion mattresses are trusted, well proven and technically sound solutions to retain earth and reduce erosion. This technique is extensively used around the world. They are also used for bank stabilization, channel linings and weirs.
(Note: Retaining walls are permanent structures typically constructed at a toe of slope or to retain backfill.)
The key to longevity of these gabion structures is based on the quality of the wire used for manufacturing gabion boxes and the correct design aspects. A-1 Fence is committed to fulfill both these parameters and provide our customers with finest quality product with technical support as and when required.
The assembly and installation of gabion is enormously simple and can be carried out in any environment without the assistance of specialized tools and workforce. Our products are supported by design assistance from qualified Geotechnical engineers who can provide timely technical support.
Gabions at A-1 fence are made out of following material:
- Heavy galvanized MS wire
- PVC coated wire
- Gabion Boxes:
These are blocks made of gabion mesh, which can be filled on the site with rocks, stones, debris and crushed concrete.
(Note: similar boxes can also be made out of welded wire mesh)
- Gabion Mattresses:
Mattresses out of gabions are used to provide protection on water courses.
- Gabion Rock fall netting:
As the name suggests, this kind of netting made out of gabion mesh finds application in preventing rocks and debris from spilling.
- Gabion Sack:
Used in controlling water flow.
Advantages of Gabions
- Exemplary modularity and ability to stack in various sizes and shapes,
- Gabion structures are capable of resisting any types of stresses, bending, tensile and shear.
- Gabion structures can accommodate differential settlements without disturbing the structural integrity.
- The permeability characteristics of Gabion structures eliminate the problems caused in RCC structures, such as soil instability, water logged backfills/foundation etc.
- Gabion and gabion mattresses are backed with well documented research and certifications concerning durability of the structure
Applications / Uses of Gabions
- Retaining wall structures
- Gabion revetments
- Canal and river walling
- Rock-fall protection
- Weir Structures
- Gabion fencing
- Coastal protection
- Protection of bridge and culverts
- Bridge abutments
|Mesh size||Mesh wire||Selvedge wire||Box sizes in mtrs|
|60 x 80||
|1 to 6||1 to 2||0.15 to 1.0|
|8O x l00||
|1 to 6||1 to 2||0.5 to 1.0|
|10O x 120||
|1 to 6||1 to 2||0.5 to 1.0|
Partitions are at every 1 mtr.
Tie wire of GI (2.0 mm, 2.2 mm or 2.4 mm) or GI + PVC (2.0/3.0 mm, 2.2/3.2 mm, or 2.4/3.4 mm) coated, generally the quantity supplied is 5% of the box weight.